WELCOME BACK TO CEDAR MIDDLE SCHOOL!
Welcome to the 2019/2020 school year. If you are just joining the Cedar Middle School Community, we are so glad to have you. If you are returning this year, welcome back. CMS truly has a caring and welcoming environment with a wonderfully supportive school community. It is a great place to go to school everyday.
At Cedar Middle School we work hard to display “Warrior PRIDE – Proactive, Respect, Integrity, Determination, and Excellence” in all areas of the school and in all we do as a school community. Students at Cedar Middle school will be explicitly taught behavior expectations for key areas of the school and will be expected to act accordingly throughout the day. We will be focusing on positive behaviors and rewarding those students that go out of their way to make CMS a great place.
Walk Your Schedule Night – Wednesday August 7th and Thursday August 8th 5:00 – 6:00 PM
To help our students feel more comfortable starting the year we have set aside these optional times for any student that needs to walk their schedule a few times in a calm and quiet environment. There will be a counselor and school administrator on hand to answer questions or help with schedules if needed.
Back to School Night – Monday August 12th 5:30 – 7:00 PM
Back to School Night is a wonderful opportunity to meet your child’s teacher(s) and take care of any school fees or lunch money prior to school starting. Cedar Middle School will follow the Back to School Night schedule below:
- 5:30 – Doors open (Please note the office will not be accepting fees at back to school night. Fees will be taken on August 5th and 6th at the office or you can pay them online.).
- 6:00 – Meet with your child’s advisor (4th period on their schedule). We will broadcast general information into the classrooms. Following the general broadcast, 6th grade parents/students will stay with their CORE teacher for information on the upcoming year, while 7th and 8th grade parents/students may visit teachers on their schedule in an open house format.
- While it is important that parents feel comfortable discussing specific concerns with teachers, we ask that you please be respectful of the teachers limited time during Back to School Night, especially with the first day of school happening the next morning. Please feel free to schedule an appointment with your child’s teacher, prior to Back to School Night, if you have specific concerns that you would like to discuss with them.
First Day of School – Tuesday August 13th 8:00 AM
School begins at 8:00 AM and is dismissed at 2:35 PM. Please keep in mind that school will begin at 9:50 AM on Late Start Wednesdays. We encourage students to be here prior to 8:00 AM so that they have time to socialize without being late to class. Bus routing schedules are available online at irondistrict.org/bus-routes or call the ICSD Bus Garage at 435-586-2864.
All 7th grade students must have provided a copy of their Tdap booster, meningococcal, and 2 varicella vaccinations to the office. If we do NOT have this, or a current exempt form on file, your student will be sent home on the first day of school. We apologize for this inconvenience; however, it is a state law that we must follow. There will be an immunization clinic at the Health Department on Tuesday August 6th from 8:00 – 11:00 for those interested.
Schedules and Fee Payment
Please be aware that school fees pertain to all grades. For your convenience, fees may be paid either online (visit our school website and click on “Pay Student Fees”), mailed to Cedar Middle School, or in the office (cash or check only) between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM on August 5th and 6th. Note – The office will not be open at Back to School Night for fees. Fee waiver forms may be filled out during these same dates and times. These can be picked up at the office. If you are planning on filling out a fee waiver you MUST provide a copy of ONE of the following: last three pay stubs, 2018 tax returns, food stamp or SNAP approval letter with a case number. Fees are to be taken care of prior to students attending class.
We have been able to accommodate most student selections for classes; however, there are some classes that do fill up rapidly and your student’s alternative was selected when possible. If your child has a 10th period on their schedule this is online health or PE. We will be holding a parent and student training for this class at a later date. Notification of this training will be sent through email or with a phone call. Requests for schedule changes at this time are strongly discouraged, unless it is due to an error on our part or has a strong academic basis. All schedule changes must be approved by the administration and are subject to a $15.00 processing fee. Please note – No schedules, for first quarter, will be changed after the first day of school. If you have a concern with your child’s schedule, please call the school to schedule an appointment.
Some of you may have noticed the addition to our school in the form of portable classrooms being built this summer. These classrooms are necessary to accommodate our ever-increasing student population. We appreciate our maintenance department and their work to help build these much-needed classrooms. All 7th/8th grade students that have a class in P1 and P2 need to meet at the library for that class the first day of school so that we can explain the procedures for getting to and from the portable.
The school lunch cost is $2.75 for middle school students (reduced price is $0.40). Middle school breakfast is $1.75 (reduced price is $0.30). Money will be accepted for school lunch at the office. You may also pay your lunch on-line, or schedule monthly debits, at www.myschoolbucks.com.
For the safety of our students, CMS has a closed campus policy. Students are not to leave campus for any reason unless accompanied by their teacher or checked out in the front office by their own parent/guardian. Parents/Guardians may take only their own children off campus unless arranged prior and the appropriate paperwork is filled out in the office, this includes when your child goes with another parent for lunch or sports activities. We can no longer allow approval for this over the phone. Students found off campus during school hours will be picked up by law enforcement or administration. This will result in in-school suspension or time at the truancy support center. Our school campus does not include Park Discovery or outside our fenced area. Please note that the closed campus applies even during lunch.
Your child’s attendance is vital to their academic and social success at school. There is no way to replicate the quality instruction a child is missing through work sent home following an absence. On average a child should miss no more than five days of school a year. While we understand that some absences are unavoidable, we are asking your help in keeping your child at school unless they have a fever, have been throwing up, or have an illness that is contagious to others.
Home and School Communication
At Cedar Middle School, we feel that the home and family is an integral part of the educational process. In an effort to keep communication flowing, we have offered the following communication tools in addition to regular teacher contact.
- Cedar Middle School Website and Calendar – The website can be found at cms.ironk12.org. The calendar is updated with school activities and can be found on the website.
- Text messages – We will be setting up a new remind account this year that will replace last years remind. Please sign up for the new account by texting @cedarmidd to 81010. This account will be our first communication to parents in an emergency. We encourage our part time families to sign up for text messages as well to be alerted to bell schedule changes.
- Instagram – You can find us on Instagram at cedarmiddleschool_warriors.
- Facebook – You can find us on Facebook at @cedarmiddle or just search Cedar Middle School
- Emails – I will be sending periodic emails, from my email and through PowerSchool, to relay important information. Please make sure that your email contacts in PowerSchool are up to date and correct.
Student Drop Off and Pick Up Reminder
- The main curb in front of the school is bus loading and unloading only during the hours of 7:15 – 8:00 AM and 2:15 – 3:00 PM. Parents may use the parking lot only if they are parking to exit their vehicle and enter the school or have a student that has special needs and you have arranged for drop off with the office.
- One Way Flow of Traffic – Our parking lot is a one-way flow of traffic. The west entrance of the parking lot is an entrance only. The east entrance of the parking lot is an exit only. The road by the fields (old bus zone) is also one way only with the east entrance being entrance only and the traffic flowing into the main parking lot to exit.
- Road by the Fields (old bus zone) – This will now be parent drop off and pick up only. Traffic will flow one way towards the west with the entrance being the east entrance to this road. Whenever possible please have your child load and unload on the driver’s side as this is closest to the sidewalk and away from thru traffic. You are also welcome to drop your child off on the main road and have them use the crosswalk to get through the parking lot.
Please feel free to contact me at the school with any questions, concerns, or just to introduce yourself. My door is always open, no matter the situation. Working together, as a team, only enhances your child’s educational experiences. Together “WE” can make a difference for your child.
Bylynda Murray – Principal Trent Nielsen – Assistant Principal Richard Thatcher – Assistant Principal